Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Challenge of Starting

My cohort Marshall and I do a fair shake of business discussion, with long email threads titled 'Business Banter' and stuff. The problem is, we're stuck. Stuck talking, not working.

To sabotage that viscous cycle, we've challenged each other to write one blog post per day for one week, starting today.


We have differing end goals, but we are both sold on the idea of making our dent in the universe by taking the tortoise approach: a steady, reliable message. Like Seth Godin says, "Stand up and say, 'This is who I am, look what I'm making'".

Ultimately, this challenge is a step toward overcoming fear of failure. Blog posts are a very inexpensive way to fail, and a phenomenal way to reach people whose worldview resonates with mine. And if I can be the one to light the fire, to help solve the problems, to lead the way to successful entrepreneurship, I've started making my dent.

We'll continue our blogging beyond a week from today, but we needed somewhere to start. Call it a baby step, sure. But baby steps are better than the paralysis caused by fear of failing. 

Tomorrow we'll take a closer look at my goal with the blog.

Until then, try staring down the fear of failure and do work worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment